[Zope-CMF] DublinCore & ExtFile as meta type in CMF

Jeff Sasmor jeff@janix.com
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 11:01:04 -0400

> Assuming no existing ExtFile instances (hence no migration needed) should
it be
> possible to remove ExtFile 1.1.0 beta 3 from my CMFOptions 1.1 product (by
deleting
> the sub-directory), and install the latest ExtFile ?

I doubt that it would work correctly unless you followed all the changes in
the
older source (they are marked) and duplicated them in a modified ExtFile.py
and
ExtImage.py

> And edited CMFExtFile.py & CMFExtImage.py:
> line:
>   from Products.CMFOptions.ExtFile import ExtFile

There are number of changes besides these!

I had several reasons to bundle ExtFile with CMFOptions:

1. Easier installation of CMFOptions (no dependencies & no other products to
install)
2. Minor mods as pointed out herein
3. Particular adaptations to the CMF
4. Namespace collisons between methods in ExtFile and CMF native functions
5. Remove dependency on PIL, which is a nuisance (confusing, at least) to
install.
6. Adding alphabetic subdirs and user-named files to the repository scheme
    to make it easier to locate files (for removal) for particular users.

It wasn't as trivial a task as one might assume - there's a lot of testing
required to
make sure all of this works properly!

In any case, I don't think that having this version of ExtFile bundled with
CMFOptions
prohibits someone from installing the new version of ExtFile and using it
thru the ZMI -
these modified versions have different meta-types and should not interfere
with
a normal product installation. Also, if someone doesn't want to use
CMFExtFile or
CMFExtImage, they just don't have to install those types using the types
tool.

In any case, I intend to rebundle the new version of ExtFile at some point
in the near
future. I just need to have the time to look at it carefully (which I don't,
right now).

Jeff Sasmor
jeff@sasmor.com
www.netkook.com is an "open Zope CMF site"
> Assuming no existing ExtFile instances (hence no migration needed) should
it be
> possible to remove ExtFile 1.1.0 beta 3 from my CMFOptions 1.1 product (by
deleting
> the sub-directory), and install the latest ExtFile ?
>
> I particularly want to use SYNC_ZODB
>
> I have edited ExtFile's ExtFile.py as per the allowed configuratin (ie.
all
> different from defaults).
>
> And edited CMFExtFile.py & CMFExtImage.py:
> line:
>   from Products.CMFOptions.ExtFile import ExtFile
> to:
>   from Products.ExtFile import ExtFile
>
> It seems that I loose touch with all my old (test) ExtFile objects
(perhaps because
> I edited ExtFile.py, hint - delete them all first), but the new ones are
OK ...

> I note the file names are just %n(%u) rather than %n(%u)%c.%e as
specified.

> Regards,
> Geoff
>
> Gregor Heine wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just had a quick look on the impact of the changes in ExtFile 1.1.0
final on
> > CMFOptions.
> > CMF Options includes a slightly modified version of ExtFile 1.1.0beta3
that
> > includes some fixes to the beta release.
> > Since these these modifications are more or less all covered by the
recent
> > stable release (Jeff, coerrect me if I'm wrong), there is effectively no
reason
> > any more to bundle ExtFile with CMFOptions.
> > Jeff, I think the best would be if you could publish a version of
CMFOptions
> > that ships without ExtFile, so people could always use it in conjuction
with
> > the latest ExtFile.
> > Never the less, if that is done, all users that want to upgrade their
> > CMFOptions to the current version of ExtFile must run the UpgradePatch
for
> > ExtFile. I can publish a version of the UpgradePatch that includes
upgrades
> > of CMFOption objects as soon as a new version of it is available.
> > BTW: I'm not sure, if that interests anybody here, but more or less the
same
> > is valid to ExtDocument 0.2 from Tim McLaughlin. It does not bundle a
> > version ExtFile and thus still requires the beta release, because of
some
> > internal changes to ExtFile that affect ExtDocument aswell. So, people
using
> > this product must not upgrade to the current release of ExtFile until a
> > compatible version of ExtDocument has been released.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Gregor.
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > (Thanks to Tres Seaver for refering to CMFOptions)
> > >

> > >   http://www.zope.org/Members/jeffsasmor/CMFOptions
> > > <http://www.zope.org/Members/jeffsasmor/CMFOptions>
> > > CMF Options 1.0 (Stable) 2001/05/08 (including a copy of ExtFile (old
> > > version ?) )
> > > - compatible with CMF
> > > - backup versions nice (as per ExtFile 1.1.0)
> > > - var/reposit/a/b/name and number ( not so easy to work with ? )
> > >

> > > But note the date : ExtFile 1.1.0 (Stable) 2001/06/05
> > > - not compatible with CMF as it is
> > > - backup versions are nice
> > > - var/reposit/.../file name etc (can sync to database structure -
nice)

> > > Are there any plans to merge the best of both ?
> > >

> > > Regards,
> > > Geoff
> > >

> > > Geoff Benn wrote:
> > >

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm very new at this - and I'm learning & trying to integrate ExtFile
> > > <http://www.zope.org/Members/MacGregor/ExtFile>  into CMF 1.1 beta and
> > > currently believe that I need to add the following into ExtFile.py
(with
> > > suitable code in ExtFile's __init__ ):

> > > This one line causes my portal_types to be omitted from the Add
Content