[Zope-CMF] Re: Our CMF-CMS Demo .. needs a workflow

Ulrich Eck ueck@net-labs.de
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 02:14:08 +0200

> > I see a need for a community / DC standard for a CMF-based CMS,
> > which takes the best from all worlds.  It should follow the principles
> > DC has layed out for the CMF - a framework, not an application[1].

I completely agree that we need a standard for CMS based on CMF.

I personally think that the DCWorkflow is a good extension to
CMS's workflow capabilities, but the hole thing is to item-centric.

There was a discussion about Meta-Data stored in Mementos which
could be used for an extended Workflow model.

for example:
one can't define a
- workflow with more than one object
- higher-level publish/review workflow with several People involved
- workflow needed for group-ware functionality
the CMFTracker would probably need an extended workflow as well.

It would be a big benefit for all CMF-Sites to have an extended
workflow, using it for UserInterface, CMS, DocumentManagement, Tracker ...

I had many thoughts about that and do not have any answers right now.

I worked on a product that included a workflow-engine but it
was not as flexible as i thought.

I think about to implement an optional replacement for portal_workflow.

are there any projects going on that may have the same goals?

cheers

Ulrich Eck
net-labs

p.s. There is a proposal for another workflow-engine under:

http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/WorkflowForZope

which is based on an open-source implementation of a workflow-engine
based on xml. This implementation is much more task-centric