Stable Framework (was Re: [Zope-CMF] Zope component model and CMF)

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 10:34:44 -0400

On Friday 06 July 2001 09:25, Chris Withers wrote:
> (negative hat response ;-)
>
> seb bacon wrote:
> > Non-incremental changes can be so
> > destabilising to 3rd party development efforts,
>
> I'll say! I've got two major products I want to base on the CMF and by
> the sounds of it, they'll both need to be completely re-written when
> this happens

I stated my hope (at the bottom) that migration won't be too difficult.
I (we) take migration issues very seriously!  Considering that the
zope-cmf list has exploded with activity, it would be a terrible mistake
to break compatibility now.  By releasing version 1.0, we made an
implicit (as well as explicit) promise to retain compatibility.

> ...and, what the overall timescales we should be expecting for these
> things?

That is yet to be determined.  This is not a project yet, nor even a
proposal, just an informal RFC.

> Do you (DC) have any customized or alternate tool implementations? If
> so, how hard to you see it being to migrate them?

The tools will be a piece of cake to migrate IMHO; they just have to be
called "services" instead of tools and have to be found a different way.
The presentation layer will have more fundamental changes but I believe
we can write a script that will migrate your customizations.

Shane