[Zope-CMF] Zope component model and CMF

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 10:40:26 -0400

On Friday 06 July 2001 09:06, Chris Withers wrote:
> Shane Hathaway wrote:
> > The metadata views are common to all standard CMF content, so
> > presentation components will need a way to inherit from other
> > presentation components.
>
> Well, yes, but surely you should also be able to share presentation
> components between different CMF Content types?
> For example, Document, News Item and Reply might all have exactly the
> same metadata, is there any reason why they couldn't use the same
> Metadata presentation component?

Um... you just said basically the same thing I did. :-)  I suppose I was
too terse.

> So, how about: click customize of the FS-presentation object, this
> creates the ZODB based version which doesn't actually contain anything,
> but appears to contain editable versiosn of everything. The first time
> these editable versions are saved, they are then actually stored in the
> ZODB?

Hmm, that may be doable.  Nifty!

> ...of course, I think it's vital that transparent re-indexing (and
> other hooked in operations, like discussions modification) happen. What
> service/tool/etc will enable this to happen?

It's a piece of Zope infrastructure that isn't there yet.  In fact
yesterday I spent a lot of time trying to find a nice way to achieve
transparent indexing.  I even modified cPersistence.c to try out an idea.
I'm sure there's a way to do it right but we haven't found it yet.

Shane