[Zope-CMF] Re: A better CMFworkflow - XML configuration

Ulrich Eck ueck@net-labs.de
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 19:45:47 +0200

Hi jeff

> I'd like to suggest that the (DC) workflow tools support expression of
> their configuration state with a .toXML() string method. The corollary
> would be to accept a configuration with a .fromXML() method.

This would be the perfect place to implement some standartised
XML-Format .. we have to look around .. what options there are.

I searched a lot in the mission to find the right XML-Format for
a Workflow-Process-Definition and found the following:

- Wf-XML Workflow Process Definition Interface
  -- XML Process Definition Language (22.05.2001)
  http://www.wfmc.org/standards/docs.htm
  pdf-spec: http://www.wfmc.org/standards/docs/xpdl_010522..pdf

- wftk (open-source workflow-toolkit) uses an selfmade
  xml-format for   process-definition and process-communiction
  http://www.vivtek.com/wftk/

- I think Bizztalk has another xml-format
   but i have no knowledge about that

- thought about doing it myself .. but this goes far beond what
  I think I could get out of my head .. (and timetable)

The second point is, that one can edit and replicate many versions
of several worfklows better with an editor and cvs than by
copy-paste objects within zope.

> With those two methods, I can see an XLST to SVG transform application
> being possible that would allow TTW GUI workflow configuration. No more
> writing out states and transitions ahead of time!

When using a standard .. every workflow-designer of (probably) any other
vendor could be used (assumed it conforms to the standard)

Is there a python module for svg-read/write availiable ??

It would be interesting though to build some UserInterface with SVG ..

> We'd need the two XML methods and a versioned XML schema with each new
> Workflow product to get started with proof-of-concept attempts. Looking
> forward to it!

me too

Ulrich Eck