[Zope-CMF] Creating Content and ZODB bloat

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Sun, 08 Jul 2001 22:35:02 +0100

Hi,

Just realised that the CMF has a slight problem in content creation: What
happens when someone wants to create a piece of content? Well, go to
folder_factories, select the type, enter an id and click okay.

Now they decide they didn't mean to do that. So they can delete it, but the ZODB
will have grown a bit.

Do people think this is a common occurence? Squishdot had its previewPosting
which allowed people to go through the write-preview-edit cycle without ever
commiting to ZODB, I know I use it a lot ;-) In fact, it got requsted enough
that I added the preview feature for managers and moderators to use when editing
postings as well...

So, how do we allow the same thing in the CMF without ZODB bloat? In other
projects, I've found it usesful to store these
objects-which-might-never-need-to-be-stored in a session, that way you get no
ZODB bloat but you are dealing with real object rather than fake, code
duplicating preview forms, like previewPosting in Squishdot. Does that sounds
like a plan?

If it sounds good, it core raise the question of when CoreSessionTracking is
actually going to become a part of the Zope core :-S

cheers,

Chris