[Zope-CMF] invokeFactory query

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:09:50 -0400

Chris Withers wrote:

> seb bacon wrote:
> >
> > I think the current behaviour is probably OK for now.
>
> Yeah, so do I, I changed my mind :-)
>
> I now have a seperate skin method caleld addArticle:

Yes, this is the right way to go!  Requiring users to enter the ID is
just a presentation detail and is meant to be changed as needed.  There
are several strategies lurking:

- Make the user enter an ID.  Great for programmers and others who
fiddle with the URL bar directly. :-)

- Generate the ID from a title.  This is good and bad--there are fewer
restrictions on what you can type, but it still doesn't eliminate the
need to come up with a unique, descriptive name for a document before
the document is written.

- Generate the ID from the date and time.  Zero effort for users and
perfect for documents that don't change over time.

- Generate the ID and force the document to start its life in the
member's home directory.  Force the user to enter a good ID at some
point before allowing a workflow transition that moves the document to a
public area.  For many sites, I think this strategy will work best.
It's just like using "File | New", writing the document, then selecting
"File | Save As...".

Note that you can select any of the above strategies just by changing
skins and configuring workflow.

Shane