[Zope-CMF] To CMF or not to CMF

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
11 Jul 2001 16:41:04 -0600

On 10 Jul 2001 09:03:51 -0400, Frank McGeough wrote:

> Just a little comment. The pre-built writers interface provided by CMF is
> worthless for people who are not programmers. My experience is that it
> confuses the heck out of them. The best you can say is that it works, not
> that it's useful for non-programmer types. Because it works it's easier to

Uhh, sorry, but I have literally hundreds of people over here who are
not programmers, and find it very easy to use. I have people who are,
for the most part, computer illiterate, that love the interface for it's
simplicity. In fact, I frequently get comments on how it is easier than
their word processor, or other things they have used.  I have people
dropping their usage of FrontPage, because they find entering their text
in a field, and following some basic structuring rules that they use
anyway (such as empty lines separating paragraphs, and indentation for
section differentiation), easier, and faster than the editors they are
used to (except, of course, those that use gvim, where it gets even
easier with autindenting).

To say that because some of the people you know do not like the defalt
interface is one thing, but to extrapolate from there that is is
worthless to non-programmers is to ignore much evidence to the contrary.

Bill Anderson