[Zope-CMF] Java WYSIWYG editor

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 14:17:23 -0400

seb bacon wrote:
> A quick note: a problem with Java in applets is that really needs to
> be 1.1 to ensure browser compatibility, AFAIK

In fact the Ekit applet requires Swing, which hasn't been integrated
into Netscape's Java.  (Not sure about MSIE.)

However, the Ekit demo contains Javascript for using the Java plug-in...
and I must say, this applet looks very, very nice!  I suppose it just
uses Swing to do the fancy work (I haven't checked yet).  I'm running it
on Linux and there appears to be a problem with the control characters
like arrows and the "enter" key, but that can be dealt with.

I used to do Java (and Windows) exclusively.  Applets were fun except
when they crashed (and how they crashed!), so I didn't make many
applets.  But now that Java works on a more stable platform, there could
be some opportunity here!

Another thing I looked at yesterday is the possibility of using Plugger,
a Netscape plugin that lets you use shell commands as plugins.

Shane