[Zope-CMF] Bug: 'TypeError: cannot convert string to tuple' in metadata_edit

Grégoire Weber gregoire.weber@switzerland.org
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 01:57:35 +0200

Hi Seb,

> > When I call metadata_edit directly from the browser with a
> > parameter which is internaly represented by a tuple like
> > 'contributors' or subject I get a error, if the parameter
> > occurs once only:
> >    http://path/to/obj/metadata_edit?contributors=x
>
> This is what the type coercion rules are for:
>
>   http://path/to/obj/metadata_edit?contributors:list=x

You're right. This works!
And http://path/to/obj/metadata_edit?contributors:lines=x also.

> Your patch is a more robust way of dealing with this kind of
> thing, though.  I wonder where the responsibility for ensuring type
> correctness should lie?

That's a good question! I don't see the implications in depth!
The question is: Are these types real types describing the datas
structure or the datas presentation (in HTML)?

Consider this (original code snippet out of metadata_edit_form):

<textarea name="subject:lines" rows="3"
                          ^--------------------------- this!
 cols="20"><dtml-in Subject
 ><dtml-let item=sequence-item
 ><dtml-unless expr="item in allowedSubjects"
 ><dtml-var sequence-item>
 </dtml-unless></dtml-let></dtml-in></textarea>
 <dtml-comment>
 Comment out / delete this to ignore controlled vocabulary
 for Subject.
 </dtml-comment>
 <select name="subject:list" multiple>
                        ^------------------------------ and this!
 <dtml-in allowedSubjects>
 <dtml-let item=sequence-item
 sel="item in contentSubject and 'selected' or ''">
 <option value="&dtml-sequence-item;"
 &dtml-sel;> &dtml-sequence-item; </option>
 </dtml-let>
 </dtml-in>
 </select>

The question which arrises (for me):
   Is subject of type lines or of type list? Hmmm!

I had some problems a few days ago when I customized
metadata_edit_form by puting the <select ...> block before the
<textarea ...> block! Perhaps its the same source of problems.

Greg

Grégoire Weber
mailto:gregoire.weber@switzerland.org