[Zope-CMF] Re: Documentation / audiences (was Boring CMF Product)

Gitte Wange gitte@mmmanager.org
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 12:32:10 +0200

On Monday 16 July 2001 11:31, you wrote:
> [seb bacon]
>
> | So my point is, at whom should the documentation be addressed?
>
> I spent about three days grokking CMF.  I would've liked to grokked it
> in half an hour.  With a Boring Product and an accompanying How-To
> that would've been possible.  Ok, maybe not half an hour, but at least
> not a full days effort.  (Maybe I'm slow, I don't know :)

Well I have spent very long time in order to understand Zope and CMF so no -
I don't think you are slow :-)

> So, speaking from my own perspective: the documentation I write will
> be addressed to people in my situation; PPD's.
>
> | And just one other quick point: did anyone say what was wrong with
> | building on CMFCalendar as an example product?
>
> The problem, if there is one, as I see it is that CMFCalendar is
> intended to be integrated into a bigger workflow.  It has a mission in
> CMFDefault.  To understand CMFCalendar it is important to understand
> how it is intended to be used, so you know what all the stach is there
> for.

Well I have had great use of the Calendar Product (or just the Event module)
in order to create a customized Live event product. It worked very well for
me to have this module as a "background" but now my Live event product is
dependant on the Calendar product. Another thing is that the code wasn't well
documented so it made a little harder - but it is possible.

I have also - before I knew anbout the Type attribute - made a "copy" of the
Document product and created a documentation type.

> A Boring Product shouldn't do the world any good, whatsoever, besides
> exposing the interfaces to a developer.

My thoughts exactly - but in a way that is what the calendar product does.

Regards,