[Zope-CMF] Upgrading Zope and web apps

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:26:50 +0100

Hi Curtis,

Since your questions aren't specifically about the CMF, which is a
framework built on top of Zope, you might get more answers from the
zope@zope.org mailing list.

* curtis.horn@st.com <curtis.horn@st.com> [010718 18:49]:
>      I've been using zope mostly as a web server and a place to keep my own
>      documents.  I'd like to make my site public (on company intranet
>      anyway) but first I want to know how to go about upgrading zope
>      itself.  My concern is that I will have something up and have to take
>      it down for a prolonged period, or worse yet lose content.

To upgrade Zope, the worst case scenario is this: install the new
version to a different location; copy the Data.fs file from the old
location to the new one; stop the old zope; start the new zope.  You
won't lose any data.

>      Second question is about "web" apps.  I'm thinking of creating an
>      application that will be distributed across many tools and using zope
>      as the "glue" to hold them together.  Making results and data go to a
>      central location for all to use.  Any suggestions?

Of course, you'll be building your tools in python :-)  Look at
wxPython for a good GUI toolkit.  Look at XML-RPC for remote
invocation of zope methods.

seb