[Zope-CMF] Bug report & other suggestions from a newbie to CMF

Lynn Walton waltonl@franklin.edu
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 00:36:56 -0500

Hello to all.  This is my first post in CMF.  I have been reading
everything I can on the CMF site for weeks -quite a frustrating
experience, I must confess ;-).

Below are a couple thoughts, suggestions, and a bug-report.  I didn't
see where to officially report bugs so please forgive me if this is not
the correct place. Send me to the correct place and I will report it
there.

1) Would the list owner, I guess that's tsearver, please consider making
the cmf list available through yahoo groups (formerly dejanews) so that
the archives would be searchable?  I asked Evan to do this for the ZPT
mailing list, and he did. And the regular zope mailing list is there.

2) Does anyone know why most of the news, comments, etc I read on the
CMF site, have the text keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger with
each paragraph?  On some documents it gets to such a point size where
only a couple words per line fit on the screen.  I just checked and it
does seem only to render that way in Netscape (4.7) not I.E.  Any other
Netscape users experience this?

3) Here's the bug report .... while going through the great
PortalPollTutorial by davew ... I discovered that something was causing
my ZMI screens for accessing the portal_types and the objects under
portal_types to get mangled.   While doing the tutorial it walks you
through adding a new type to the portal_types, using  "Add Factory Based
Type Information", and then setting properties and actions for it.  That
would work fine.  Then when the tutorial walks you through Logging into
the portal you set up, and trying to add your new type "Poll", that
worked find too .... (although the tutorial left out the step of needing
to "Join" the new portal before you can get a "My Stuff" option and add
your own pool .. but I reported that as a comment on the tutorial).    I
happened to use my same username and password for joining the portal as
I already use in my ZMI as a Manager.    The poll worked fine, but I
discovered later that in the ZMI for my portal, the portal_types screens
were lost.

First, Instead of getting the tabs I should get ... (Overview, Contents,
View, Properties, Security, Undo, Ownership and Find) when I click on
portal_types ... it is missing "Overview".

Then when I click on Poll (or any of the other default portal_types
which I didn't touch, I only get
Undo, and Ownership, and it's on the Undo tab and says:
------------
"Factory-based Type Information at tests/TestPortal01/portal_types/Poll
There are no transactions that can be undone.
-------------
when it should have properties, actions, undo, ownership and security
tabs.

After making another Portal and reproducing it .. again using the same
login name for joining the portal as I have for being a manager in my
ZMI, I then tried making a third portal, and joined it with a different
login name and password.  That worked, and left the correct management
screens accessible in the ZMI for the different portal_types objects.
When I was trying to reproduce it on the "second" test portal, I
experimented around, logging in and out with different browsers and I
could always access the correct screens for all the portal_types
objects  UP UNTIL the point that I went out and joined the portal using
my same ZMI manager login name, and then created a new Poll.   That
seems to be when it mangles the screens.

4) I'd be happy to have anyone that is willing to email me with their
thoughts on how they are using CMF on live sites now (or is it too new
and unstable?). Also, if anyone is VERY knowledgeable in CMF and has
some time for consulting, please send me your information including
rates.  I really want to go forward with the best architecture for a new
site that we have to have up in a couple months, and I know that I won't
be able to get far on CMF with the current state of the documentation,
unless I have some help from someone who's "been there, done that". <g>

Thanks,
Lynn