[Zope-CMF] Re: How to use already existing products with CMF?

Norbert Marrale norbert@attira.com
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 04:11:55 +0200

Amr:

I would try to avoid mix-n-matching products if the CMF provides a
reasonable substitute. When I first came across CMF (PTK) in
December of last year, I had already started with the conversion of a
static site to Yihaw. My first idea was to use CMF for memberhip
related things, and to let YIHAW deal with various sorts of document
types. Squishdot would then provide the bulletin board functionality.

The hardest part is to integrate these products and to make them aware
of eachother. I tried this at first, but quickly realized that customizing
CMF to suit my specific needs would be much easier. I ended up
throwing away my earlier version and I haven't regretted doing this for a
second. You don't want to end up maintaining different sets of tools,
each having different methods and interfaces.

Look at the prototype at http://www.attira.net to see how this worked
out for me. I'll be glad to share any customizations if this type of site is
what you're looking to roll out.

Norbert

--__--__--

> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 11:30:07 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Amr Malik <aeamalik@yahoo.com>
> To: zope-cmf@zope.org
> Subject: [Zope-CMF] How to use already existing products with CMF?

> Is there a way to use already existing products in a CMF portal? I'm
> thinking of keeping the CMFDefault, but then add products like YiHaw,
> S[Q]uishdot, FSPoll, ZopeGUD to it. Is it viable? What might be the
> way to have, for example, the links under YiHaw cataloged using CMF?

> The way I envision it, anonymous users will see the default view which
> will be a regular page without the leftbox (actions) and will have a
> directory, and other default stuff (polls, various generic sections,
> surveys). Once the user logs in, they'll see their area and do the
> "adding of the content" type activities.

> I'm new to CMF and still trying to grok it, so apologies in advance if
> this is too obvious a question!

> TIA,

>Amr

On the Road of Life,
there are Tourists and there are Travelers.
I'd rather be Traveling!

Norbert Marrale
norbert@infocatch.com