[Zope-CMF] CMFDecor troubles

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 14:40:15 -0400

Dan L. Pierson wrote:

> Partly.  I'd really like some idea of how long it will stay 2.3
> compatible and some very visible notice when that is broken.

My crystal ball is a bit murky, but it is my current guess that
the biggest distinguising feature of the next "major" Zope release
("2.5" is the most likely label) will be folding ZPT into the core.
At that point (could be as early as September), we will replace the
DTML-based HTML skins with their ZPT-based equivalents, and rev the
CMF.   From that point forward, you will have to have ZPT installed
in order to use the default skins.

We won't introduce gratuitous incompatibilities with Zope 2.3 into
the CMF codebase;  I won't guarantee that some Python 2.x-isms won't
creep in, however (e.g., support of Unicode).

If you need a stronger guarantee than that, we should probably
talk about a support contract;  maintaining backward compatibility
indefinitely incurs a non-trivial cost.