[Zope-CMF] Bug report & other suggestions from a newbie to CMF

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 23:42:52 -0400

Lynn Walton wrote:

> Hello to all.  This is my first post in CMF.  I have been reading
> everything I can on the CMF site for weeks -quite a frustrating
> experience, I must confess ;-).
>
> Below are a couple thoughts, suggestions, and a bug-report.  I didn't
> see where to officially report bugs so please forgive me if this is not
> the correct place. Send me to the correct place and I will report it
> there.
>
> 1) Would the list owner, I guess that's tsearver, please consider making
> the cmf list available through yahoo groups (formerly dejanews) so that
> the archives would be searchable?  I asked Evan to do this for the ZPT
> mailing list, and he did. And the regular zope mailing list is there.

That would be me.  I would be glad to help, but don't know what would
be required of me;  can't you or someone nominate the list to yahoo?
Also, Chris Withers has searchable archives of the list online at
the NIP site:

  http://zope.nipltd.com/public/lists/ptk-archive.nsf/

> 2) Does anyone know why most of the news, comments, etc I read on the
> CMF site, have the text keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger with
> each paragraph?  On some documents it gets to such a point size where
> only a couple words per line fit on the screen.  I just checked and it
> does seem only to render that way in Netscape (4.7) not I.E.  Any other
> Netscape users experience this?

The recent switch to use StructuredTextNG triggers NS4's bad behavior.
If you look at the source of the "offending" document, you will find
that it is perfectly well-formed;  something about the way STXNG emits
bulleted lists (closing with '</p></p>', maybe?> causes NS4 to flake
out.

> 3) Here's the bug report .... while going through the great
> PortalPollTutorial by davew ... I discovered that something was causing
> my ZMI screens for accessing the portal_types and the objects under
> portal_types to get mangled.   While doing the tutorial it walks you
> through adding a new type to the portal_types, using  "Add Factory Based
> Type Information", and then setting properties and actions for it.  That
> would work fine.  Then when the tutorial walks you through Logging into
> the portal you set up, and trying to add your new type "Poll", that
> worked find too .... (although the tutorial left out the step of needing
> to "Join" the new portal before you can get a "My Stuff" option and add
> your own pool .. but I reported that as a comment on the tutorial).    I
> happened to use my same username and password for joining the portal as
> I already use in my ZMI as a Manager.    The poll worked fine, but I
> discovered later that in the ZMI for my portal, the portal_types screens
> were lost.
>
> First, Instead of getting the tabs I should get ... (Overview, Contents,
> View, Properties, Security, Undo, Ownership and Find) when I click on
> portal_types ... it is missing "Overview".
>
> Then when I click on Poll (or any of the other default portal_types
> which I didn't touch, I only get
> Undo, and Ownership, and it's on the Undo tab and says:
> ------------
> "Factory-based Type Information at tests/TestPortal01/portal_types/Poll
> There are no transactions that can be undone.
> -------------
> when it should have properties, actions, undo, ownership and security
> tabs.
>
> After making another Portal and reproducing it .. again using the same
> login name for joining the portal as I have for being a manager in my
> ZMI, I then tried making a third portal, and joined it with a different
> login name and password.  That worked, and left the correct management
> screens accessible in the ZMI for the different portal_types objects.
> When I was trying to reproduce it on the "second" test portal, I
> experimented around, logging in and out with different browsers and I
> could always access the correct screens for all the portal_types
> objects  UP UNTIL the point that I went out and joined the portal using
> my same ZMI manager login name, and then created a new Poll.   That
> seems to be when it mangles the screens.

I can't reproduce this.

> 4) I'd be happy to have anyone that is willing to email me with their
> thoughts on how they are using CMF on live sites now (or is it too new
> and unstable?). Also, if anyone is VERY knowledgeable in CMF and has
> some time for consulting, please send me your information including
> rates.  I really want to go forward with the best architecture for a new
> site that we have to have up in a couple months, and I know that I won't
> be able to get far on CMF with the current state of the documentation,
> unless I have some help from someone who's "been there, done that". <g>

I'll let the community step in here.  I spoke with several folks at
the O'Reilly Conference who are already using the CMF in production.