[Zope-CMF] CMFDecor troubles

Dan L. Pierson dan@control.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:38:08 -0400

--On Monday, July 30, 2001 02:40:15 PM -0400 Tres Seaver
<tseaver@palladion.com> wrote:

> Dan L. Pierson wrote:
>
>> Partly.  I'd really like some idea of how long it will stay 2.3
>> compatible and some very visible notice when that is broken.
>
> My crystal ball is a bit murky, but it is my current guess that
> the biggest distinguising feature of the next "major" Zope release
> ("2.5" is the most likely label) will be folding ZPT into the core.
> At that point (could be as early as September), we will replace the
> DTML-based HTML skins with their ZPT-based equivalents, and rev the
> CMF.   From that point forward, you will have to have ZPT installed
> in order to use the default skins.

Thanks, that helps a lot.  We'd really like to move to ZPT as well,
but there's just too much custom DTML for a small staff to switch over
as quickly as we'd like.

> We won't introduce gratuitous incompatibilities with Zope 2.3 into
> the CMF codebase;  I won't guarantee that some Python 2.x-isms won't
> creep in, however (e.g., support of Unicode).

That scares me a bit, but we'll have to live with it.  So does the
prospect of 2.5.0 :-)  From past history, Zope 2.x.0 hasn't been all
that stable, .1 is better, and .2+ is about what I'd like to base
a live site on.

We don't want indefinite support, but we really can't afford to go
through major Zope upgrades more than twice a year at the very most.
When the time comes we'll probably just have to step back from the
bleeding edge and keep the older version running for a while without
doing much with the new stuff.