[Zope-CMF] Revisions & CMF

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Thu, 31 May 2001 20:41:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Chris Withers wrote:

> I know of applications where the audit trail is important and you can have
> revisions as follows:
>
> 1 Active revision
> 1 or more Pending revisions (prospective candidates)
> n historical revisions (that each applied to a given date period)
>
> ...the example I'm thinking of is keeping track of legislative documents.
> You will have one active revision. However, you need all the old historical
> revisions and the dates during which they were applicable (for long running

Unless we're proposing an implementation for the multi-draft retention
based on historical revisions, it muddies the waters to mix that issue in
here.  Since it looks like a bad idea to use historical revisions, i'd
like to ask that we treat historical revision packing exemption
separately!

(Make a proposal!  There's better things than retaining all versions or
none - WikiForNow already provides the notion of distinguished versions,
check the history view for WikiForNow wiki pages.  A similar thing may be
appropriate for document types.)

(If you do make a proposal, look at brian's guidelines in the proposals
wiki - clearly identifying requirements/purpose separate from
implementation details is a great boon to clarifying what you want...)

Ken
klm@digicool.com