[Zope-CMF] Virtual Hosting with CMF?

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Tue, 05 Jun 2001 09:24:37 -0400

Jon Edwards wrote:

> Hi, I'm just trying to find out if there are any known problems with Virtual
> Hosting and the CMF? Unfortunately I'm running on Win2000, and our hosting
> compant is on Linux, so I can't test it myself :-(

The dogbowl (http://cmf.zope.org) is virtually hosted via Apache and the
VirtualHostMonster.  There was a problem, now fixed, with WebDAV/FTP and
the VHM;  Normal web interaction has worked with the CMF/VHM combo for a
long while.

> Can you use Site Access rules to redirect a domain name to -
>
> a) The root of a portal - so www.domain1.com gets redirected to
> www.mysite.com/portal1 ?
>
> b) Sub-folders within a portal - so www.myclient.com gets redirected to
> www.mysite.com/portal1/clients/client1 ? and will the urls be rewritten
> correctly in the viewers' browser - so they can type
> www.myclient.com/products and it takes them to
> www.mysite.com/portal1/clients/client1/products ?
>
> hope that makes sense?

The simpler solution is to get Apache to rewrite the URLs for you, and
then to use AccessRules to help with the rest.  The VHM helps get "outbound"
URL's rewritten appropriately.

Tres.