[Zope-CMF] Dublin Core

Jeffrey Shell jeffrey@Digicool.com
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 10:30:35 -0400

On Wednesday, June 6, 2001, at 09:10  AM, Tres Seaver wrote:

> Ricardo Newbery wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the pointers Seb and Tres.  Now I'm looking into
>> defining some new metadata elements...
>> I notice that the CMF DublinCore module doesn't include the
>> entire set of metadata elements defined by the Dublin Core
>> Metadata Initiative.  Why is that?

Actually, this is something I hope to be talking about internally
today.  Specifically, I want to investigate and write up soon the
best practices on how to extend the dublin core to best suit needs
of users that we can't speculate ourselves.

> We chose initially to implement a subset of the DC, for a couple
> of reasons.
> My initial proposal, with rationale for the subseting, is at:
>
>  http://cmf.zope.org/rqmts/project_glossary/DublinCore

I also added in some Links last night in the proposals area (found
at the bottom of the page) linking to a couple of Dublin Core
documents, posted there for informational purposes only.

http://cmf.zope.org/rqmts/proposals/

On a somewhat related note (this also relates to the "historical
documents" thread), look at the metadata at:

http://www.dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-type-vocabulary/

------------
Identifier:
http://dublincore.org/documents/2000/07/11/dcmi-type-vocabulary/

Replaces:
http://lcweb.loc.gov/marc/dc/typequalif-20000519.html

Is Replaced By:
Not Applicable

Latest version:
http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-type-vocabulary/
------------

The URL in 'Indentifier' is the real location of this document - if
you visit this URL even when a new revision exists, you'll always
get *this* particular draft.  Similar to W3C documents.

The Replaces and 'Is Replaced By' are interesting relations (we
have a proposal about the Relations elements on the dogbowl as
well), so you can navigate through revisions of the document.

'Latest version' gives you a URI that always renders the current
(published) revision of the document.

I just wanted to point to this as a real world pattern for those
thinking about / working on the 'historical' revisions of
documents.  This pattern works really well for proposals and
recommendations, and is something I'd like to see in the in a site
like the dogbowl soon.

Jeffrey P Shell, jeffrey@Digicool.com
http://www.digicool.com/ | http://www.zope.org/