[Zope-CMF] RE: BT caching rant (was: Editing and caching conflicts)

Jon Edwards jon@pcgs.freeserve.co.uk
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 13:24:07 +0100

Thanks for the pointer Seb!

In my case I have a kinda solution - I use standard_html_header for view
pages, and editpage_header for editing pages (so that they can have a
different layout and stylesheet). So, I can put the no-cache stuff in the
edit pages only.

However, I wonder if the problem with caching is widespread enough that some
solution should be added to the out-of-the-box CMF? It might save an awful
lot of helpdesk/support enquiries from confused end-users? Anyone else
encountering caching problems?

Cheers, Jon

P.S. BT's ineptitude is certainly not confined to caching! They are the most
clueless organisation I have ever dealt with... but that's another story!
:-)

-----Original Message-----
From: seb@lenin.jamkit.com [mailto:seb@lenin.jamkit.com]On Behalf Of seb
bacon
Sent: 08 June 2001 13:38
To: Jon Edwards
Cc: Zope-Cmf
Subject: BT caching rant (was: Editing and caching conflicts)

To answer your questions, the places content gets cached are at an
arbitrary number of caches between you and the server, and in your
browser.  In order to make sure your 'edit' mode content never gets
cached, you can add 'Expires' and 'Cache-control' headers in relevant
places.  Search the web for more info.  There's a howto here:

  http://www.zope.org/Members/htrd/howto/caching