[Zope-CMF] Dublin Core

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 12:12:44 -0400

Ricardo Newbery wrote:

> As a relative newcomer to this space, I would like to chime in on the
> desire for an improved CMF metadata framework.
>
> Metadata requirements are going to differ.  The Dublin Core set is good
> as a default and a lowest common denominator but it would be extremely
> useful to have an easy way to switch in another metadata scheme and a
> straightforward mechanism to map the local scheme onto the Dublin Core
> default elements.

Heh, this seems pretty straighforward to me:

   def Title( self ):
       """ Override Tres' foolish notion that title is univalued. """
       return string.join( self.my_title_values )

As a framework defined around interfaces, we are already pretty extensible;
you *do* need to be willing to write code to take advantage of many of our
extension points, however.

> It would also be useful to have some mechanism to handle generic
> metadata requests from external clients -- the Open Archives project
> seems like a good start in this direction.
>
> Hmm... maybe I should write this up as a dogbowl proposal?

Sounds good to me.  Please note Andrew's "syndication proposal",
   http://cmf.zope.org/CMF//Members/andrew/folderRSS
which addresses one "real-world" use case we have for metadata
interchange.  CMF 1.1beta implements the "outbound" side of the proposal;
we are looking to do "inbound" syndication in 1.2.