[Zope-CMF] Interesting outside link

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 07:04:58 -0400

seb bacon wrote:

> * Tres Seaver <tseaver@palladion.com> [010610 16:17]:
>
>>Jon Edwards wrote:
>>

>>>FYI, I found this article (via Camworld) -
>>>http://www.dru.ca/imc/open_pub.html - "Three Proposals for the Future of
>>>Open Publishing". Seems they're facing many of the same questions as CMF,
>>>

>>Interesting article;  I added a link to it in the 'news/weekly' section.
>>This is probably not quite the right mechanism, but I wanted to follow up
>>on my "don't lose content in the mail" plea.
>>
>>Perhaps we should have a topic of link objects, sorted by recency?
>>

> Yes, that's a great idea.
>
> I've been playing with ideas on how to encourage members to contribute
> links, since the process is rather longwinded if all you want to do,
> basically, is 'bookmark' a page.
>
> One idea was to add a PUT factory to Link.py which creates a Link out
> of a Windoze shortcut.  Then, with webdav, you can (1) drag n drop
> shortcuts, and (2) you can tweak the registry so people's actual
> bookmark folder location is a folder in their Member folder.

What does the filename or content-type look like for one of those?  I
have a mapping there now for it for "url, link" (tests....oops, Link
objects don't know from PUT).  We'll need to fix this too, then.  Please
do let us know what the PUT will look like for Win32 shortcuts (filename
pattern, content type, and file layout).

> The other idea was to use a javascriptlet on the toolbar.  Users have
> to follow instructions on installing it, and then whenever they want
> to bookmark a page on the Portal, they just push a button.
>
> Does this sound like a good idea?  I've uploaded the scriplet code to
> the dogbowl, but of course it won't have been published yet.  Or has
> the default document visibility been changed?
>
>   http://cmf.zope.org/Members/seb/link_shortcuts

Published.

Tres.