[Zope-CMF] Email In

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 14:50:01 +0100

* Chris Withers <chrisw@nipltd.com> [010611 14:06]:
> >   - Sender doesn't have to think (hard) about metadata;  we would harvest
> >     much of it from the RFC[2]+822 headers.  Those who did want to signal
> >     it (e.g., for 'Subject') could do so using the "stock" STX
> > representation::
> >
> >      Subject: mail-in, content, authoring
>
> This is very interesting, how would we go about doing it?

Well, I unfortunately have to create a proof-of-concept on this one
within about 1/2 day to show a client :S

Using ZMailIn as inspiration, I've already got mail addressed to
portalname@server.com appearing as Mail Types in a portal, optionally
harvesting a Subject from the body of the email, and using the subject
header as a Title.  I'm tidying it up today, but I don't think I'll
get around to:

> >   - We could do something reasonable with MIME attachments.
>
> Turn them into CMF 'File's contained within Folderish Mail objects :-)

...although it would be fairly easy.  I can post my code to my members
folder by the end of the day so others can have a fiddle.

> However, what I'd like to see in the CMF is a portal_mail tool which would
> handle email in and out in it's interface.

Yes, with a mailing list facility, too...

> I can see an implementation of this involving a seperate ZEO client or thread to
> send mails where there are a large number of recipients...
> The mail-in side could be covered by borrowing lots fo code for ZMailIn :-)

Is there a reason why ZMailIn uses an http post rather than xml-rpc to
push stuff into the portal?

ZMailIn's approach to the possibility of multiple MailClients on one
server is to have a catalog in the root, which is a good idea but
completely failed to work for me - it was quicker to hard code what I
need in current circumstances :S  Instead, I'm using procmail to
decide to which location mail for a certain address should be
forwarded.  Have you guys got any observations on that approach based
on your experience?

cheers,

seb