[Zope-CMF] Dublin Core

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:11:02 -0400 (EDT)

(I assume you meant to cc: the list.)

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Scott Mason wrote:
> I have an online newspaper.  What I am most concerned about
> as for metadata is my images.  I use the standard IPTC metadata
> for images.  http://www.iptc.org/

Do you have a copy of the spec (apparently called DNPR) you could forward
or post?

> I don't want to key in my image metadata via the ZMI or CMF, it
> would be too tedious.. What I need is to be able to ftp my folders
> of images-with-IPTC headers and have the CMF extract that metadata
> and Zopify it.

Yep, that's certainly a reasonable request.  We're getting closer to that
goal.  CMF Audio, as you say, is a good example.

> A killer app? Searchable Web Photo Album
>
> I also want to state that I believe that there is a killer app here for
> somebody
> to put together.  Just about everybody has a digital camera now and is
> busy filling up disk space with images.  These images are hard to manage,
> without some piece of browser-metadata-editor software like FotoStation.
> It's driving people crazy.

I would guess there are several sites trying to achieve this right now.
Does photo.net do this?

> There are a lot of different album servers out there on the web but none of
> them that I  have seen yet can deal with IPTC data and create a searchable
> and ratable index of your photos.  This is something that Zope and CMF
> could easily accomplish, I think.

Yes, I think so too.  I wonder if there are others interested in this.

Shane