[Zope-CMF] Discussion Management

David Brown david.d.brown@wamu.net
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:09:56 -0700

How do I delete a reply to a document?

I can't seem to find a way to do it.  It also seems rather un-Zope-ish
that discussion items are not manageable via the ZMI.  Or am I missing
something?

Seems to me that Replies should be like first class documents.  Quite
often a thread of discussion will meander off in a certain direction,
and even though it is off-topic from the document that originally
started the discussion, it is a worthwhile topic to be discussing in its
own right.

I'll admit that I'm basing this observation from my experience using
Manila (BTW, to place your frame of reference, I'm the ZopeFish guy,
posting from work rather than home).  In Manila, anything could be a
response to anything.  All messages were stored together (with ways of
browsing them topically, temporally, or consecutively), and depending on
how you viewed them, you could comment on them.

This made sense to me...  It allowed any bit of writing to become a
document, without cutting and pasting.

I suppose I could write my own Discussion Tool to allow this behavior.
But I can't fight the feeling that there is something wrong when I can't
crawl through discussion responses in the ZMI.  Perhaps I'm jumping the
gun -- perhaps what I'm talking about is already where the future
direction lies.

As a final note -- Bravo, folks.  CMF 1.1 is a wonderful piece of work.
I only comment on it because I want to make it better.

Do I need to drop some of these observations into the Collector?

dave