[Zope-CMF] question: CMF and collaborative authoring

Kent Polk kent@goathill.org
22 Jun 2001 17:17:43 GMT

On 22 Jun 2001 04:50:00 -0500, Joseph Wayne Norton wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am currently spending some time understanding the CMF and have a
> question.
>
> I would like to know what is the best approach to tailor or to modify
> the CMF to easily allow for collaborative authoring.  It is not clear
> to me how to allow a subset of a CMF portal's members to jointly
> author some common content that is not stored in a member's home
> folder.
> In some respect, it would be nice to have a usage-style like a CMFWiki
> that applies to other CMF content objects and content folders.

If you check the archives, you can read some of the previous
discussions regarding this topic.

Many of us are attempting to solve different aspects of this problem.
I don't think I am putting words in their mouths to say that the
CMF development team will be attempting to incorporate wiki concepts
into CMF items in a general manner.

What *we* are finding is that CMFWikis solve one set of problems
and other CMF objects solve a somewhat other set of them. So until
the Wiki components start showing up in other CMF objects, we are
using a combination of wiki and others, using the wikis to provide
the framework and initial view management, and the catalogger to
locate the other items in the system by id or meta-type. Not the
best from a display point of view, but is much better from an
information-management point of view, plus we don't view this as
static at the moment.