[Zope-CMF] Syndication Tool Docs - broken links

Jon Edwards jon@pcgs.freeserve.co.uk
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 17:11:33 +0100

Hi Andrew,

I'm just starting the transition from DTML to Python, but if someone gives
me a map and a machete, I'll happily start hacking! ;-) ...or preferably,
help someone better-qualified!

Thinking aloud...

These are the existing Zope products I have found that do a similar
function -

http://www.zope.org/Members/TheJester/ChannelTag

http://www.zope.org/Members/edmundd/SiteSummary

http://www.zope.org/Members/EIONET/RDFSummary - built on top of SiteSummary

http://www.zope.org/Members/cguardia/meerkat/ - actually, this uses XML-RPC
to connect to the Meerkat service, included for completeness!

...and if you're on Windows, and a news-junkie, www.feedreader.com has a
nice free product to play with! :-)

RadioUserland also does a lot with incoming and outgoing RSS feeds, maybe we
can "borrow" some ideas from them? ;-)

I've used SiteSummary and it was very easy to setup. The only problem was
getting it to update the RSS feeds regularly. I tried Xron, but had
problems - it was firing every 6 seconds instead of every 30 minutes!

That would seem to raise one area for discussion - do you tell people to use
Xron for updating (or the TaskKit from Webware
http://www.python.de/docs/QuickStart.html?), or do you provide built-in
scheduling-functions, perhaps based on the proposed events tool
(http://cmf.zope.org/rqmts/proposals/EventsTool)?

Would some sort of task-scheduler be a useful addition to the events tool?
One use-case would be to trigger daily-digests of the proposed
maillist/weblog cross, rather than emailing every update individually?

I guess the incoming RSS feeds would be parsed into individual items (as
SiteSummary does) - perhaps based on CMF-links objects? Would people want to
archive these, or should the next update just over-write the existing ones?

HTH

Cheers, Jon