[Zope-CMF] Intelligent Subscription

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 14:45:59 +0100

* Chris Withers <chrisw@nipltd.com> [010626 13:33]:
> seb bacon wrote:
> >
> > > That way, you can also think about more funky things like only subscribing to
> > > threads the system knows you're interested in...
> >
> > Could you explain with an example?  I'm trying to work outhow an
> > object's state relates to a member's interests.
>
> In your member preferences, you'd specify a list of keywords.
> If those keywords showed up in the body of a new posting, it would get mailed to
> you and you might be subscribed to the thread.

As I thought - what I meant was, where do workflow states come into
this?  I've implemented a notification scheme similar to your
suggestion.  When an author creates something, they get to select
users from the roster as part of the object's metadata.  In the
notifySuccess method of the workflow, I check to see if an object's
been edited, and if it has, I iterate over the Notify property,
emailing each member a notification and a link.  It wouldn't be much
harder to add a 'subscribe' interface to the same metadata.  However,
I'm not sure if this is the most scaleable solution...

seb