Ideas for Discussable ( was Re: [Zope-CMF] Question on Disscusable Content Types)

Kent Polk kent@goathill.org
28 Jun 2001 17:38:14 GMT

On 27 Jun 2001 13:45:01 -0500, seb bacon wrote:
> OK, not sure I entirely understand your proposal; but since I may end
> up implementing it sooner, I better had :-)  In particular, I'm a bit
> of a catalog newbie, and I don't know much about Brains...
>
> Anyway, here's my understanding:
>
> You propose to create a tree-like structure inside a purpose-built
> tool, with each node containing a reference to an object.
>
> This means the actual objects themselves can be stored anywhere in the
> CMF instance, regardless of their context within a thread.
>
> If I search my site for "gleet" and a discussion item is returned, how
> is its thread context discovered from the discussion tool?  Is the
> discussion tool a Catalog?

This is similar to the workflow model a couple of us have been
discussing.

One of the limitations of the current CMF workflow is that it is
item-centric.  Workflow (as far as I can see) is really constrained
to the life of a single item. As a result, when we attempt to
connect items that really ought to be created and connected by the
workflow, difficulties ensue.

To get around this item-centric problem, we try to build container
items that provide slots for sub-items created by the workflow, or
otherwise connect these items together using different relationships
that apply in only specific instances. In reality, they probably
ought to be separate items whose associations are determined by
the workflow instead of some document or repository heirarchy.

Of course, I have no idea how to pursue this yet... :^(