[Zope-PTK] Members who should not create content; how to implement

Tres Seaver tseaver@digicool.com
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 22:05:08 -0500

Lucas Hofman wrote:

> On a site I am creating now we need the following permissions:
> - anonymous can login or join, but not view content
> - member can view content
> - creator can create and modify content
> - (no reviewer)
> - manager can do whatever
>
> We expect 500-1000 members, and will have around 100 creators.
>
> I created a membershiptool which does not create a directory under
> Members. However, what would be the best way to catch the 'promotion' of
> a member to a contributor, and make a directory under Members at that
> time?

We actually have a use case in the dogbowl for promotion, but
it never got implemented in a portalish way.

A first cut at that idea would be to implement a
'promoteMemberToCreator' method on your custom membership tool;
you could call it from your customized 'roster' metohd, which would
expose some UI for Managers to indicate the promotion.

We (DC) have a similar UI built for a customer, but which allows
setting the extra roles on only portions of the site;  at that point
the Zope local roles machinery takes over.