[Zope-PTK] More bugs ...

Tres Seaver tseaver@digicool.com
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 23:40:51 -0500

"Dan L. Pierson" wrote:

> --On Friday, March 16, 2001 12:05:05 PM -0700 Bill Anderson <bill@libc.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On 16 Mar 2001 09:27:54 -0500, Dan L. Pierson wrote:
> >> The Dublin Core defines Subject to be a set of keywords.  Of course this
> >> is  rather different than, say, Squishdot subjects...
> >

> > Ok, then does not the DC also define categories? How about adding them
> > as default then?
>
> I think that CMF needs to do at least two things to support the DC subject
> field in a useful way:
>
> 1. Provide a (CMF level?) management interface for defining and editing the
> list of keywords.  I think that the actual list of useful keywords is very
> domain specific (i.e. our not-yet-composed keyword list might be useful
> to other automation sites, but not to anyone else) so there's little point
> in specifying the list of keywords in the DC.

The 'portal_metadata' tool proposal suggests this, at least as
an optional policy for the site:

  http://cmf.zope.org/rqmts/proposals/metadata_tool

> 2. Change the Subject field on the metadata edit form to a multiple select
> against the keyword list.

This change would be useful on many sites, but not all;  the notion
of "controlled vocabulary" for keyword searching is a classic dilemma
of the art:  if you force a controlled vocabulary, it is either too
small (so people can't make distinctions) or too big (so they can't
find the ones they want).  Free-form keywords tend to lead to near-miss
duplicates, with misspellings, etc.

CMF won't dictate policy there, but may (in a couple of releases)
supply mechanism by which a site manager can define such a policy.