[Zope-PTK] CMF some basic Q

Tres Seaver tseaver@digicool.com
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 20:43:58 -0500 (EST)

On 18 Mar 2001, Bill Anderson wrote:

> On 16 Mar 2001 23:27:26 -0500, Tres Seaver wrote:

<snip>

> > This is the one you missed.
>
> So, there is _supposed_ to be an edit tab then?

Not on the properties object (which when customized is a Folder).
Only on the DTMLMethods which are used to customize the
FSDTMLMethods (which make up the huge majority of the skins).

> I am running the beta, with a very (few days ago) recent CVS of Zope. I
> have no edit tab, is that the problem? The only management tabs I have
> when i do this are:
> Contets, view, properties, securitiy, undo, ownership, find.
>
> The only thing i can change (yes, I am the manager),  is the values of
> the variables. Bug perhaps then?

This sounds as though you have customized the
'generic/stylesheet_properties' object, which, when customized,
turns into a folder with properties like "alink_color",
"base_font_color", etc.  These properties are used by the
FSDTMLMethod, 'default_stylesheet'.

Recipe:

 1. In the ZMI, select the FSDTMLMethod,
    'portal_skins/generic/default_stylesheet', you will see a
    read-only chunk of DTML which uses the
    'stylesheet_properties' object to emit CSS.

 2. At the top of that page is a "Customize" button.
    Click that button, and you will next be staring at the "Edit"
    tab of a newly-created DTMLMethod,
    'portal_skins/custom/default_stylesheet'.

 3. Edit it to your heart's content.

> I can provide you with a login if you would like to verify it. :^)

If that recipe doesn't work for you, then yes, I would like
to verify it.

<snip>

> > > To provide yet another argument for the FSView stuff not
> > > mandating a restart ...  Let's say I want ot add a CSS
> > > class, or change an existing one. Again, to the FS I go.
> >
> > *I* don't go the the FS for this, nor does anyone else.
>
> As above, perhaps a bug is causing the edit tab to be missing. As it
> sits, in all the CMF's I have installed, I have never had an option to
> change the DTML itsself, TTW. Now, if _you_ couldn't either, you
> probably would go to the FS. (Or change the code, nut I didn't know
> there was supposed to be an edit tab) :)
>
> > > All clicking 'customize' does, AFAICT, is allow you to
> > > change the provided property values, nohting more.
> > >
> > > IMO, debug is for debugging, not for standard, simple,
> > > non-code changes.
> >
> > Sorry to keep repeating, but you are hammering hard on your
> > mis- apprehension that the FS DTML can't be customized TTW.
>
> Actually, Tres, as i have been repeating (sorry, for the same
> reasons), on mine, there is no way. it may very well be abug, I
> can accept that.  But see it from my point of view. Not once
> have I ever seen a way to edit the actual DTML TTW after
> clicking on 'customize'. And I have screen shots I can  show
> it. :)

Maybe you chould upload the screenshots (immediately before
and after the "Customize" step) to the dogbowl, and post a
link?

> At this point, i woulnd't call it misapprehension, just a
> missing tab, perhaps? I've been hammering hard because I have
> no means of editing DTML through the web. :^)=

Again, I believe that you have been stuck in the wrong spot;
let me know if you want me to look at your site, just in case.
(BTW< I have just built a test site from the beta tarball,
and the DTML customization works fine).