[Zope-PTK] department-based user management

Jon Franz jfranz@one.net
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 18:32:26 -0500

I'm setting up a CMF site for a corporate intranet.  Using CMF topics I plan
on simulating the organization by division, department and so-on.  While
some content will of course be company wide, some content will be department
specific.  Users will also be associated with a department. (I've got that
one covered already - I just have them set a dept durring user creation and
store it's id as a property on the user) - however, I'm running into two
problems, and was wondering if anyone had any ideas for how to implement
solutions (I'll do the grunt work, I just want diffrent points of view to
make sure I do this in the most Zope-CMF-esque way possible).

  1) Managers and reviewers should be limited to managing/approving content
within a specific department (CMF topic) - this does _not_ preclude the idea
of having a global manager for the installation also.

  2) Managers need to be able to create users for new employees.

thoughts?  Do CMF topics have a facility for by-topic management I just
don't know of offhand?  (I'm very much a newbie to CMF topics)  And any
ideas on the user-creation problem?