[Zope-PTK] To CMF or not to CMF?

Darren Gibbons dgibbons@openroad.ca
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 18:44:50 -0800

Hi all,

I've been looking at the CMF over the past couple of weeks and have been
evaluating using it for a project I'm working on.

The site is fairly basic -- information about the organization, contact
information, some media downloads.  There will be a newsletter section, with
newsletters coming out every two months.  Newsletters consist of articles,
written by different authors.  The newsletter is laid out in Quark for each
issue.

The Newsletter section I see the CMF being the most useful for.

The CMF certainly provides a lot of powerful features, but I'm not sure if
they will be useful for this project.

As per the project charter, the following are the features that the CMF
provides:

Membership

  We would not be using this functionality.

Cataloging

  Search will definately be used on the site.

Workflow

  Workflow is useful, albeit not critical as most of the authoring
  will be done outside of the site, and published to the site
  once complete.

Integration

Syndication

RSS

Security

Clustering

  All not terribly useful for this project.

So that being said, am I better off just using a straight Zope installation?

It seems that the core features of the CMF (namely workflow and membership)
are not critical to this project.  Do people see the majority of
content-driven Zope sites moving to the CMF?

I also have some concerns about the performance of the CMF.  I saw a 10-fold
decrease in pages per second for a CMF powered basic page, vs. a Zope
powered page.  Considering that Zope isn't the speediest environment to
start with, this is a bit of a concern.

Thoughts?  Should I move forward with CMF and will its benefits appear
obvious to me?

Thanks,

Darren.

--
Darren Gibbons                                    dgibbons@openroad.ca
OpenRoad Communications                               ph: 604.681.0516