Subject: Re: [Zope-CMF] how to distribute CMF components?

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
10 May 2001 08:38:37 -0600

On 10 May 2001 09:52:57 -0400, Jeff Sasmor wrote:
> Issues I have regarding CMF components:
>
> 1.
> How to layer skins: in the install for CMFOptions
> I tell folks to put the cmf skins 'name' after custom for
> all listed skins.  This layering _will_ end up being a
> problem - what if other product providers say the same
> thing? Which additional skin folder goes first?  This
> will end up being a source of confusion

It doesn't seem to tme that this is a problem in realtiy. The order, as
I understand it, represents an order to be searched.

Personally I put new skins first in their entry, and after custom in the
others.

For example, at zmc.immortalitysystems.met, I have the skin 'aurora',
and in aurora's entry, it is _before_ custom, ie. the first entry.
Aurora is not found elsewhere. For other kinds of skins, such as the one
with topic, where it is an additional content type, placing it after
custom is also just fine, regardless fo the number of these. Unless you
are duplicating skins,  the order is less relevant than you think. As
long as it ids after custom, it will find it fine. Customization is done
in the custom skin, and the skin 'first' skin (see above. For
content-type skins folders, say for example 'Tutorial' and 'System
guide', you could put them last in the list, and not worry about it.

What is important for developers, is that they use their type in the
naming of their methods. For example, libctutorial_view,
customdocument_view. otherwise, there wil be namespace issues. If you
havea custom newsitem, and name it's view method just 'view', and I do
that as well, well, there will be an issue when our products are both
installed; whomeve was adde dlast will be viewed for both.

At least, that is how I see it.

Bill