[Zope-CMF] relative URLs

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Mon, 14 May 2001 15:21:42 -0500

(This is my first post to zope-cmf; I've played with CMF somewhat and
I've got big plans for a new python.org site, but although I work at
DC I'm not by any stretch of imagination a CMF expert!)

I've discovered that if you create a Folder and in that folder you
create several Documents, those documents must refer to each other
with relative URLs of the form "../name".  For someone like me who is
experienced in creating websites with simpler means (e.g. Apache and
HTML) this is really confusing, because there relative references
between documents in the same directory are always done using the form
"name" (i.e., no "../" prefix).  This makes it hard to import a
collection of HTML files from elsewhere.

A little research shows that Zope generates a <base> tag whose href is
the URL of the document *with a trailing slash added*.  This seems
wrong to me.  Is there any way to let Zope generate a <base> tag
without a trailing slash, at least for those document types that
resemble HTML documents, like News Item, Document, File, and Link?

(I should mention that I showed this to Jim, and he agreed that it was
broken.)