[Zope-CMF] factory_type_information questions

Tres Seaver tseaver@digicool.com
Sat, 19 May 2001 11:47:08 -0400

Kent Polk wrote:

> marc lindahl wrote:
> >
> > > How do I tell the portal types factory system to use *my*
> > > product's methods?
> >
> > Put your new skins in a different folder in portal_skins,
> > then in portal_skins properties, put your new folder BEFORE
> > the default folders in the list... usally, first or close to it.
>
> My skins are currently Filesystem-based items and I'd rather not
> have then loaded in front of the std skins in this case, to prevent
> changing the behavior of all folders.  I'd rather they point to
> the product's skins, and be able to override, but maybe that isn't
> possible.

It isn't possible as the code stands now:  you would essentially
like to allow each folder to extend / rewrite the site-wide skin
definition (the part which specifies the search order) as it is
traversed.

A workaround would be to define your sitewide skins such that they
look for / display "local customizations" first.  E.g., the site-wide
'folder_contents' would do something like:

  <dtml-if local_folder_contents>
  <dtml-var local_folder_contents>
  <dtml-else>
  </dtml-if>

You can then drop DTML Method, 'local_folder_contents' into the
areas of the site which you'd like to customize.