[Zope-CMF] Workflow first cut is ready

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Wed, 23 May 2001 12:52:48 +0100

* Shane Hathaway <shane@digicool.com> [010522 22:41]:
> Ok, a first cut at the much discussed web-configurable workflow is now
> ready.  It's open source.

;)

(Thanks for the good summary of the discussion, btw)

Well, it looks great.  Really useful feedback will only come from me
when I've had a chance to use it on a real project, but it seems
pretty complete.  I found one bug - you forgot to supply a
content_hide_form, and one query: why expose the 'state variable name'
in the UI?  I couldn't really think of a good reason.

Also, any chance you could explain a bit more about the triggers?

The one type of state which I can't see it covering is a use case
that's been discussed before, here:  a kind of 're-editing' state.
By this I mean a document which has been published, and the owner
wants to change.  Really the owner should be editing a new document
which must be resubmitted, but when published it must overwrite the
old document.

The re-edit transition would therefore create a copy, and the
re-editing state should have the ability to display the original
version as well as the new version.

This could be acheived in the skins, with scripts in the workflow
performing each operation.  I was just wondering if there should be
support for calling a chain of scripts as part of a transition.

So, two questions:
Do you think the new WorkFlow could meet the above requirement without
any changes?
Do you think transitions should have the ability to call scripts?