[Zope-CMF] Refining the disposition of published-document revisions

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Mon, 28 May 2001 13:29:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 28 May 2001, robert at rocad wrote:

> I should be possible to keep old versions of a document which after being
> replaced by a newer version become viewable only or copied to become a new
> document with new ID.
> This is to be able to leagaly prove the status an  evolving document  had at
> a given point in time.
> I am thinking of drawings used in a construction process that are kept in a
> CMF based structure and downloaded and use as base of some atinional tasks
> like construction of ductwork.
> Contrary to the proccess used creating software or disscussing a topig where
> checkpoints migth be used to revert to or to start a branch such documents
> must be "fixed in stone".

Taking this together with seb's post, i'm getting a clear picture that the
range of legitemate needs, in different cases:

 - Sometimes many (or all) historical revisions of a document needs to
   be preserved.  This is for legal and other audit of the document's
   (and it's related project's) evolution.

 - Often, not all document revisions need to be retained.  This is
   true if only for the practical reason of avoiding database bloat.
   Moreover, in some situations it's preferable (and proper!), for
   legal liability purposes, to *not* maintain an audit trail.

This suggests to me that in an ideal world, it would be possible at
the application level to identify documents and/or specific document
versions to be exempted from packing.  I'm not sure whether this is the
right route from an architectural perspective, that's something to be
examined.

Ken
klm@digicool.com