[Zope-CMF] Revisions & CMF

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Thu, 31 May 2001 23:36:01 +0100

> On Thu, 31 May 2001, seb bacon wrote:
>
> > Right, but I'd argue (on the basis of what I just said) that the
> > strategy should expose a packable property which can play with
> > Workflows, since this is likely to be a problem for any
> > implementation.  Or perhaps I'm inexplicably hung up about a very
> > minor issue ;-)
>
> See my post to Toby.  If we tweak Zope versions we may get what we're
> looking for without having to be concerned about packing.

Just to be clear, the proposal is now only dealing with the situation where
you want to have an active revision and a future revision that will become
active?

I know of applications where the audit trail is important and you can have
revisions as follows:

1 Active revision
1 or more Pending revisions (prospective candidates)
n historical revisions (that each applied to a given date period)

...the example I'm thinking of is keeping track of legislative documents.
You will have one active revision. However, you need all the old historical
revisions and the dates during which they were applicable (for long running
trials/investigations/etc) You may also have several candidate revisions
which are currently under review, one of which will become active with the
others falling by the wayside.

The content type I proposed would cover this and is quite simple to
implement should anyone need it, so I'm not saying the revisions tool
_should_ deal with the above, just as long as people are aware that it
doesn't.

Also, it would be nice if the interface could support this, even if the
default implementation doesn't.

cheers,

Chris