[Zope-CMF] RE: Catalog Aware Portal Folders (again) - Solved with Product

Carl Rendell cer@sol43.com
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 13:12:25 -0800

This subject has been out there a while, and since I did not receive a
reply. I did some additional research on my own.

I Started by working with Florent Guillaume's PortalContentFolder
product which seemed to have all the behaviors I was looking for.
However, I found that the import of the PortalContent base class caused
the folders to have 'contentish' behaviors when it came to using skins.

With some insight provided by Florent - Thanks Florent! - and some
digging into the standard PortalContent and PortalFolder products, I was
able to see how my task could be accomplished.

To make a long story short, I've created a new product -
PortalCatalogFolder - which accomplishes most of the goals I had going
into this project.

1. Create new Products through the management interface that maintain
all of the standard behavior for a Portal Folder (acquisition of skins,
contain objects, etc.).
2. Add the ability to make these Portal Folder based products fully
'catalog aware', which includes addition, modification, and deletion.

I use the product as a base class for other folderish products that I
use for intranet development. I've made the product available via
zope.org for anyone else looking to solve the same problems:

http://zope.org/Members/crendell/PortalCatalogFolder

~C

-----
Carl E. Rendell
Smoking-Gnomes
Process, Metrics, and Internet Consulting  |   "Ahhhh the power of
cer@sol43.com                              |    acquisition"  - Chef Z