[Zope-CMF] folder content (big post)

Stephan Göldi Stephan Göldi
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:37:47 +0100

But creating a new portal_type and portal_type_view can enable this, doesn't
it?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jens Vagelpohl" <jens@zope.com>
To: "Stephan Göldi" <web@goeldi.com>
Cc: "cmf" <zope-cmf@zope.org>
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2001 1:54 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope-CMF] folder content (big post)

stephan,

if i understand what you are saying correctly then you want, kind of in
"normal" zope-fashion, have a site where somewhere down in the folder tree
the appearance changes. Using a normal dtml-based zope site you would
usually do something like drop in a different standard_html_header/footer.

the CMF just doesn't work that way. it is more about content and content
management and "standard" zope entities (like dtml methods or standard
folders) will misbehave if not used carefully. the normal CMF entities
never try to (and are not made to) influence the site's look and feel and
change it. that's just not part of the CMF way of doing things.

so the reason you're not successful here is the basic CMF philosophy. look
and feel is not decided or influenced somewhere on the site, it is driven
by the stuff you have in the portal_skins tool, and all that stuff is
globally available. i don't see a way to "selectively" change look and
feel at random points inside the CMF that is as easy as a new header and
footer.

one workaround would be to develop a skin that gives you the desired new
look and making sure it gets applied whenever people step into the part of
the site that is supposed to have it. that could be done by query string
(append something like ?portal_skin=my_new_skin to the URLs) or by
manually twiddling the cookie that holds this value. that's hackish,
though. there is no really easy way.

jens

On Friday, November 30, 2001, at 03:56 , Stephan Göldi wrote:

> In CMF, when I add a folder (not portal folder) via the ZMI, it is
> viewable
> in CMF. When I click on "folder content", it is not seen and not editab=
le.

> When I add a portal folder (via the "folder content" functionality of C=
MF)