[Zope-CMF] CMF Newbie In Need Of Clues

Meilicke, Scott scott.meilicke@intp.com
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 08:32:19 -0700

One way that I do it, and this is just one way of many, is to put code in
the index_html file to display different stuff depending upon where you are.
So I use a folder hierarchy, and within each folder, put one or more topics
to expose content.  My index_html displays all folders in the current
folder, and displays the folders description under the folder ID. The
index_html also looks for all topics in the folder, and displays the
contents of the topic.

So:

/
-HR (folder)
--Employee Benefits (topic contents)
--Handbook (topic contents)
-Engineering (folder)
--Projects (folder)
---List of projects (topic contents)
--Component List (folder)
...etc.

When you're on the home page, all you see are links to HR and Engineering.
Clicking on HR shows two lists (topics), one is a benefits section, the
other is chapters of the employee handbook.

I also put in a few calls to files, if they exist, to expose their content.
So if Engineering wants to put in a custom page, I tell them to create a
document called 'tagline', and put it in their folder.  Now index_html
renders the body of that file at the top of the page.  This gives people
some customization abilities of the site, while preserving consistency and
an easy way to expose content.

Does this make any sense?  Unfortunately this is internal only, but I can
send you my index_html if you like.

Scott