[Zope-CMF] keeping a customized CMF in sync with CVS-CMF

Dan L. Pierson dan@control.com
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 11:17:16 -0400

--On Tuesday, September 25, 2001 12:59:11 PM +0200 Joachim Schmitz
<js@aixtraware.de> wrote:

> I want to build a website based on CMF. Lets say I want to customize the
> actions_box.
>
> I create an editable instance in the customs skin from the generic skin
> action_box.
>
> I customize this for my own needs.
>
> Now there is a change in the generic skin action_box, which I want to
> incorporate into my customs version.

I you're going to be doing a lot of customization of CMF skins I recommend
creating a Zope product as a holder for your customizations with your own
skins directory tree in it.  Then register your skin directories and
insert them in the portal_skins tool as well as the standard CMF ones.
Make your skin definitions search your directories ahead of the standard
ones.

This all a bit of work, but the advantage is that you can easily use CVS to
maitain your skins and use normal file level tools to diff and merge with
new CMF code.

Dan Pierson