[Zope-CMF] Types, meta_type, content_meta_type, etc...

Tim Hoffman timhoffman@cams.wa.gov.au
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:05:05 +0800

Just echoing what Shane has been saying (but in reverse ;-).

With some of the work we are doing we have a number of different types
of Exhibitions objects
some are basically subclassed CMFTopic's and others a basic CMFContent
with a property
which contains a list of UnqiueID's (which are catalogued).  To view
this second object
it has the same basic access methods as used on CMFTopic are also used.

Both return lists of brains

One has a meta_type of DFTopicExhibition, the other has
DFAuthoredExhibition.
Both have a Type of Exhibition. When people search for and use
Exhibitions (as viewers)
they don't care what the specific meta_type is, they both look like
exhibitions.

My problem is it seemed that it wasn't clear what meta_type and Type
should have been
and when you define them through types tool vs basic Class definitions
in a Product,
and in fact I think we have implemented it around the wrong way around,
and so skinned folders
work one way and some other stuff is the other way (ie use of Type and
meta_type)

Which probably measn I just didn't RTFM enough, but it has caused  quite
a bit of confusion.

Tim