[Zope-CMF] PUT_factory/content_type_registry new feature Proposal

Sidnei da Silva sidnei@x3ng.com.br
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 22:53:24 -0300

Howdy CMF crew,

I was playing with FTP and CMF today and found an interesting issue:

  * When downloading a CMF type based on Document, the manage_FTPget method
appends some headers to the files, mostly metadata properties.

  * If the file contents is HTML, the headers are set using the <meta> tag.

  * If the file contents are plain text or structured text, the headers are
set using standard rfc822 style headers.

The problem i ran into is:

  * When uploading the same file back into a CMF site, when the object doesnt
exist yet, PUT_factory relies on content_type_registry to discover the kind
of object to create. However, the content_type_registry doesnt check for
those headers when analyzing the uploaded file.

Suggestions:

  * Fix PUT_factory to parse the uploaded file for rfc822 headers/metatags (I
did this for testing, but its a ugly hack) OR,

  * Provide another kind of predicate to parse the headers on the
content_type_registry (better)

I hope this is not too much feature to get into 1.3 final. I really think this
is needed, as it looks like a missing feature more than a new feature.

[]'s
--
Sidnei da Silva (dreamcatcher) <sidnei@x3ng.com.br>
X3ng Web Technology <http://www.x3ng.com.br>

[A computer is] like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no mercy.
		-- Joseph Campbell