[Zope-CMF] Doing searches in CMF-site with Opera

Carl Rendell cer@sol43.com
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 08:20:01 -0700

On Sunday, August 4, 2002, at 06:21  AM, Tres Seaver wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-08-03 at 14:15, Carl Rendell wrote:
>
>> Tres.. I've seen a few messages of this sort, but nothing
>> definitive regarding the use of python 2.1, 2.1.1, 2.1.2, or 2.1.3.
>>
>> So, are there going to be issues with Zope and/or CMF when using
>> anything other than python 2.1.3 for the build, and if so... is a
>> there a brief description of what those might be. I ask because one
>> of the Zope ISP's (hurrah) is currently only on python 2.1.
>
> Python 2.1.x where x < 3 is known to cause major stability issues for
> Zope;  I would strongly recommend upgrading to 2.1.3.  Python 2.2.1 is
> in the "it works, but is not supported" category for Zope 2.x,
> where x <
> 7.  Zope 2.7 will require Python 2.2.1, and may even be out before Zope
> 2.6 :).
>
> If your ISP allows you to run Zope (which I presume they do, or you
> would fire them) then they shouldn't object to running it on the "known
> good" version of Python.  You could even build your own Python and run
> Zope with that, if they don't want to upgrade '/usr/bin/python'::
>
>  $ pwd
>  /home/tseaver
>  $ cvs -d
> :pserver:anonymous@cvs.python.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/python\
>       co -r r231 -d Python-2.1.3-src python/dist/src
>  $ cd Python-2.1.3-src
>  $ export CC='gcc -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE
> -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64'#linuxism
>  $ ./configure --with-thread --prefix=/home/tseaver
>  $ make
>  $ make install # -> /home/tseaver/bin/python, etc.
>  $ cd ..
>  $ rm -r Python-2.1.3-src
>
> Tres.

Thanks Tres,

That is an excellent answer to my question, and will make it much
easier to present the case to my ISP.

~C

Carl E. Rendell
Solution43
Information Distribution Consulting        |   "Ahhhh the power of
cer@sol43.com                              |    acquisition"  - Chef Z