[Zope-CMF] PortalFolder, SkinnedFolder, and CatalogAware

Carl Rendell cer@sol43.com
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 11:30:31 -0700

I was just looking at the implementations of PortalFolder and
SkinnedFolder this morning to check out how CatalogAware is
implemented within those.

There was some discussion or debate on the question of should
Folders of any type be added to the catalog by default or not, and
there is evidence of that discussion in PortalFolder as
indexObject(), unidexObject(), and reindexObject() have been
stubbed out in the class.

Thinking about this a little more it strikes me that we might
consider implementing catalog awareness for folderish types -
derived from PortalFolder or SkinnedFolder - in much the same way
as 'filter_content_types'.

In other words, create a boolean 'toggle' where the default catalog
awareness is set to 0 (not cataloged), yet can be set to 1
(cataloged) either by implementation (products sub-classing either
PortalFolder or SkinnedFolder) or skins (dtml or zpt).

This leaves a lot of flexibility for the designer, and follows the
implementation path already established for the filtering of
allowed types.

Any thoughts?

~C

Carl E. Rendell
Solution43
Information Distribution Consulting        |   "Ahhhh the power of
cer@sol43.com                              |    acquisition"  - Chef Z