[Zope-CMF] Setting up a Virtual Host Monster

Romain Slootmaekers romain@zzict.com
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:59:48 +0200

Chris Larsen wrote:
> I'm currently have the mod_rewrite + virtual host monster going on but
> am having an issue that I have to log in twice whenever I get a
> secondary request, like a background image for example.  Any ideas
> here??

what could be happening is that you have something like 2 domain names
mapping to 1 ip address. The httpscenario request response scenario is
as follows:

1) HTTP request for page http://www.coolsitesname.com/private/
2) server response UnAuthorized.
3) browser asks for username/passwd
4) browser resends request, this time with basic auth header.
5) browser gets page.
6) browser fetches images aso found on page. but the BASE ref maps
    to another name of the site.
    fe http://www.coolsitesothername.com/private.

    since this is seen as another site no auth header is sent
    and the above scenario repeats.

This typically happens when you fi have
Http://www.cool.com and http://www.cool.nl mapping to the same site.

Have fun,